I've been experiencing a strange problem with my K3 and have been
unsuccessful in isolating the cause.  At times it just loses the serial
connection to the PC and the K3 must be power cycled to restart the
connection.  It happens both during active contest logging as well as when
sitting idle - the connection just stops.  I've tried several logging
applications with the same results.

At first I thought it might be related to the PigKnob I have between the
serial port and K3, but running the serial cable direct resulted in the
same problem.  I've also seen the problem using a different PC with an
Elecraft serial to USB cable for the connection.

Indications are that a problem might exist in the K3, but I can't envision
why it would work flawlessly for some random period and then fail.  Any
ideas for further troubleshooting? I've entertained updating to the KIO3BUPKT
KIO3B Upgrade Kit,
but don't know that the extra expense would be worth a try.

73,
Mike - W0AG