Hasn't anyone done any real measurements of this phenomenon? Just because it is heard doesn't make it bad or in violation of the FCC Spectral Purity of Emissions. And it is generally reported to be 2.7 kHz wide, i.e. the same as the SSB filter.

In measuring my K3S, s/n 10163, the worst case is - 42 dBm at the test frequency. I did check several bands and found the same result. In all cases, it is evident the low pass transmit filter is doing its job as there is more TX noise below the transmit frequency than above. My measurement indicates the noise is in the -60 dBm to -70 dBm range, depending on band. There are some other emissions which are -85 dBm {~15.9 MHz} and -91 dBm {~31.9MHz}. These are seen within a span of 1..0 MHz to 50 MHz on the HP spectrum analyzer, connected directly to the output of the transceiver, ANT 1 port. The K3S is in CW mode, Test Mode, keyed with a straight key. As to seeing power on an external device, at these levels, it likely won't be observed. Further I observe when the PWR is reduced to zero watts, the emissions do not change except at the point when the KPA switches out {~ <12 watts} , there is about a 10 dB decrease as expected.

All in all, I'd say the radio is quite clean with regard to my measurements and spectral purity.

73

Bob, K4TAX