​Hi Dave,

I was about to write about overdriving your Elecraft transceiver via the
computer sound card output and what that can do to the ALC readout (for me
on my kx3: cause the ALC meter to display nothing), but it sounds like you
are already aware of this fact and have tried to adjust so that you achieve
4-5 bars.

Not sure what OS you are running, but it doesn't matter really I guess.  Do
you know if any of the sounds the OS makes are directed through the same
sound card as you send your JT65 transmissions?  A long shot to be sure as
I think you are able to recreate this situation whenever and you have some
regularity to the issue you are seeing.

Have you tried to hook-up a small speaker to the sound card output and
listen to what is transmitted to see if the tones are a constant volume or
do you hear drop-outs interspersed throughout the transmit period?

regards,
Brian
VE3IBW