You can get a quick look at band conditions at http://bandconditions.com
<http://bandconditions.com/>

Using Buddistick on 40 m is a real challenge. I would not be surprised if that
was an S-unit or more below a full-size dipole.

Try the simplest field antenna for the KX3, two wires connected directly to the
rig. Get a BNC to double binding post adaptor. Get a wire 26 to 29 feet long,
throw it in a tree and hook one end to the red post. Get a 16 foot wire, lay it
on the ground and connect it to the black post. Let the ATU tune it and see you
can hear.

wunder
K6WRU
Walter Underwood