Fred and Eric-

            I went through this a few months ago and got excellent
advice from this reflector.  TenTec sells a hand mic for $28 (the bias
resistor is built in so you don't have to add it to the back of the
front panel).  I bought it and am using it and getting excellent audio
reports.  (Usual disclaimer, I own no part of TenTec, etc).  All I
needed to do was remove the 4-pin connector and replace it with an
8-pin.

            If you need the pin wiring diagram, I'd be happy to send it
to you.

            Bottom line: you can't beat the price and the performance is
OUTSTANDING.

            73,

            Cary, K4TM

            K-2 #5266