On 8/30/2017 7:30 PM, N4OI - Ken wrote:

> I do not understand the general fear of working with SMT components.

If you had monocular close-up eyesight (due to scarring on one retina)
and arthritic hands (due to aging) like I have, you would understand it
perfectly.  And I don't have a work-table any more to do it right.
Luckily I had a close-by ham friend do my K2 for me. I recently had to
solder a wire to an isolated terminal, holding my breath that I wouldn't
burn myself or anything else while working under a lighted magnifier  -
something that I would do 50 years ago without a second thought.

I've paid my dues and have no regrets about having to be a plug-and-play
appliance operator.  Sure beats no operator at all.

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402
(First licensed in 1952)

>From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest