What an "antenna tuner" does for you depends upon where you install it.

There are two places where a low SWR is important: the load the finals in
the rig "see" and the load the transmission line "sees". In most HAM
installations the load the finals see is probably the most critical because
if it is not within specs the transmitter may shut down or the final
amplifier devices may self-destruct. Fortunately, Elecraft rigs have
protection against self destruction by reducing the output power as needed
but having the power reduce automatically is seldom desirable to the
operator.

Before about the 1960's, the output tuning networks in Ham transmitters were
adjustable to provide a decently-low SWR to the finals with a wide variety
of loads. Back then with vacuum tube amps it was common to "dip the plate
current and adjust the loading for rated plate current at the dip". That
adjusted the output network for a proper match to the finals, but required
adjustment when QSYing. Then "no tune" rigs appeared which met the more
stringent FCC requirements for suppression of spurious emissions but
required a proper load: typically 50 ohms non-reactive.

A lot of antennas did NOT provide a "proper load" to the rig, so the use of
antenna tuners became popular. Many rigs built the antenna tuner into the
rig itself to ensure the final amplifier transistors (or tubes) always saw
an acceptable load. That is the function of all of the built-in ATUs in the
Elecraft rigs.

That protects the finals in the rig but did nothing to help the load the
transmission line "sees". As the transmission line sees a higher and higher
SWR, its losses increase. That load is determined by the antenna. And, when
it is not practical to adjust the antenna for a good load at all
frequencies, remote antenna tuners have become more common when transmission
line losses are too large. Many, if not most, Hams simply live with the
increased transmission line losses up to the point where their transmission
line fails by being over-stressed with the excessive currents or excessive
voltages produced by the standing waves on the transmission line. This
occurs most commonly in the coaxial lines used by most Hams at QRO powers.

73, Ron AC7AC