Ken,

What happens if you plug a hand key into the KX1? or paddles with the KX1
set to Hand?  If it keys properly, then your problem is in the cable or in
the microHam Keyer.

I guess there is also the possibility that you are getting RF feedback which
locks the combination into transmit - try testing into a dummy if you are
not already (either bypass the internal tuner or TUNE it to the dummy load
first).

73,
Don w3FPR