Hi Don and others-   Ok.Here is my answer-  I don't think I am far off by
saying that the unique similarity it is in using switched components to effect
frequency coverage of the same tuning coil. In the HRO they had clips you could
change over to go to "bandspread" mode on each coil assembly, Elecraft uses
relays (switches) to change capacitor values in their bandpass filters so that
the same assembly can cover two ranges. Essentially the same thing. I don't
think any other companies have used this technique as extensively as National
and Elecraft.
    Your opinion may vary.........    Doug
 Dr.Doug Millar EdD.
K6JEY