Many many years ago, a colleague on my engineering team showed me an article entitled, "Where does the electricity go after it leaves the toaster."  I do not remember the name of the journal in which it appeared, but it was funny, and I've never forgotten the explanation.

The answer to your question is ... "You pretty much answered it," and you sound more like a physicist or EE than a lawyer.  My analogy for electric current is those little hanging steel ball thingys on some overpaid executives' desks:  Pull the end one out and let it drop and the far end one shoots out.  It's almost instantaneous, as it is with electrons.  You sure feel it if it bangs you in the nose, but it isn't the same ball that started it all.  I think the actual drift rate of an individual electron, should something like that actually exist, is very slow and not very far.

Electrons are a lot like snowflakes ... notwithstanding the urban legend that every one is different, I did a year in the northern interior of Alaska and rest assured, "Seen one, you've seen 'em all."  I charge my LiFePO4 with a solar panel in the hope that eventually it will be full of green electrons as opposed to the brown ones it came with.  I've started claiming "green power bonus" in little field outings although mathematics can only give me a probability that I've replaced all the brown ones.  They're all at the bottom of course, I don't discharge the battery that far, so I think I'm good here.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County