Thanks to all who offered suggestions. Rather than many individual replies, I'll just add further comments here.

The SS-USB-100 USB-to-Serial converter (Prolific chipset) is definitely bad. As I said it worked fine before but is flaky now.

With the Edgeport 4-port, FT8 works fine and I can connect using the K3 Utility program and do everything it should do, although I note that reading Macros from the radio is very sloooow, to the point that I thought it wasn't working.

I've updated the K3 firmware to the latest version (it was only one behind).  I can use the utility program to turn TX Test mode on and off (SWH18) and it works fine until the mode gets set randomly.

Someone suggested that the KPA500 TX Inhibit is enabled. It is not.  The KPA500 isn't on and the K3 is connected to a dummy load since I've been doing a lot of IMD testing. In other words, no RFI issues.  But, I am getting suspicious that this is an Auxbus issue in the K3.

I removed the Auxbus cable and let the radio set for about three hours without a fault.  I reconnected it and removed the cover to check the I/O boards, etc.  It faulted immediately. I wiggled the boards and everything seemed OK.  I replaced the cover, reseated the cable and watched for a couple of hours.  No problems.  I thought that maybe it was fixed.  The XYL to be called me to a late lunch/early dinner and when I came back to complete this message reporting success, the TX Test light is blinking again. And again.

I should note that the same cable is used on the K3S without issue.

Wes  N7WS