Brings up an interesting question.

My recollection from numerous amps that they may read OK (within 10 -15%) near full power, at low power they typically were way off. I suspect whatever calibration was done, if any, was at the high end of the scale. The load was probably pure resistive and near 50 ohms.

By way off, I mean perhaps 50% not a factor of 3 like being reported.

I wonder if anybody has any hard data on this.  If it is true, why?

In the old days with a non-digital meter, nobody could tell....

73 de Brian/K3KO