Next time you use your transceiver’s noise blanker (or blankers, in the case of
the K3/K3S), you might try the following experiment: Turn AGC off, and possibly
the preamp as well, when doing noise blanker level adjustment. You may need to
back down the AF and/or RF gain controls to hit a comfortable receive signal
level.

When AGC is ON, it compresses everything, both signals and noise, to the point
that it’s sometimes hard to hear the true effect of blanking. This is
especially true when multiple complex noise sources are present.

With AGC off, you’ll better hear the effect of different noise blanker settings.

As an example, I have a very high noise level at my QTH on 40 m tonight, a
combination of narrow pulses (arcing poles), local light dimmers and
appliances, and stochastic (atmospheric) noise. I turned the blanker on and
initially thought it was having little effect. I then turned AGC off and was
able to fine-tune the DSP and IF blanker settings on the K3S using my ears and
the S-meter.

An S-meter won’t tell the whole story. But in this case, my settings resulted
in a 15 dB indicated reduction (about 3 S-units), and a definite improvement in
weak signal copy.

If you turn the AGC back on, noise blanker performance may be about the same in
terms of improving S/N ratio of on-air signals, but turning it on/off will be a
lot less dramatic due to gain compression.

(Note: Don’t forget to turn the RF gain back up as required. This setting is a
global value, not per-band, and you probably won't want the gain reduced on
quieter bands.)

73,
Wayne
N6KR