On 9/13/2017 4:26 AM, Krug261--- via Elecraft wrote:
After 15 years away from radio, I'm back, and want to enter the digital modes.
(How things have changed!) There is much opinion that a computer's onboard time
system (Win 10 for me) is inadequate for digital, e.g., the WSJT-X user manual.
So...

It's not "opinion," it's scientifically verifiable fact for WSJT modes that send and receive packets of encoded data that start and end at specific times. These modes include FT8, JT65, and JT9, as well as a few similar modes.

1. Is this a correct assumption in all/most cases?

Yes, for the modes listed above.  Time sync differences greater than about 1 sec between two stations decreases the likelihood that the signal will be successfully decoded.  And because this is a DIFFERENCE, one station might be 1 sec early and the other 1 sec late and they would be pretty unlikely to decode each other.
2. Assuming you do feel it's necessary, which synchronization program would you
suggest?

I use this free/shareware program. Runs in the background, no conflicts.  There are other good ones.

http://www.timesynctool.com/

The speed (frequency) of some computer clocks are more or less accurate than others, so the intervals between time sync required to stay in sync will vary from one computer to another.

73, Jim K9YC