From: Wayne Burdick [mailto:n...@elecraft.com]
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2017 3:02 PM
To: marvwhee...@nwlink.com
Cc: Elecraft Reflector <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Question for Wayne about your OCF Dipole

Hi Marv,

I didn’t measure the legs. My best guess, standing here by the shack window
using an antique brass monocular, is 55’ on one side, 35’ on the other. This is
the most satisfying thing about off-center-fed dipoles: length generally isn’t
critical. Close your eyes and clip, knowing that, most likely, the ATU will do
the rest.

The installation was opportunistic, taking advantage of a back yard gazebo, a
Home Depot telescoping pool-cleaning pole, and a huge white oak. Height at each
end was determined by how high my son was able to climb without the neighbors
noticing.

The experimental feedline, running under the house for half its length, was
more deliberate if not justified in the literature. At first I was using 300
ohm mystery twin-lead scavenged from an installation of yore. But given all the
RFI sources I decided to try two lengths of LMR-400, taped together every few
feet, forming a sortof-balanced-shielded feed. Purists I consulted ahead of
time continue to be shocked at how well this works. At the mast, the grounds
are left unterminated. In the shack, the two center conductors go to an
Elecraft BL2 balun. The shields are soldered together and connected to the
BL2’s ground lug.

There you have it: Wide tuning range, low noise, low-loss, and theory-free. How
it works is left as an exercise for the reader.

Wayne
N6KR