Signals have been CW levels, but as you may not realize not being on the air for ?? years Ed, part 5 license to ham contacts are not allowed, so it has to be WSPR reports. CW will come along the 15th of next month when waiting time is up for those who applied
to the UTC.
CW is done almost daily between part 5 stations on the mainland, and FT modes all the time.

I get a kick out of "experts" that talk about 630M like they operate there, checked and some that are talking have not been on the band in more than 5 years. they are just puffing. The ARRL experimental group only has a couple at most operational, I see at most two or three
of them.  Most of the work has been done by part 5 grants.

How many even know that the ON4KST chat rooms has a dedicated chat room for 630M ??
Stop in there and see what happening on the band.

73 Merv K9FD/KH6   WH2XCR

Roger,

I'm guessing you are commenting on the DX contact between VK4YM and WG2XXM using WSPR?
Most likely signal levels were way below noise for CW.

WSPR was designed to test propagation like a beacon and really isn't well suited to making contacts but it does get thru with a minimum of signal.

But CW has been mainstay on 630m and likely will remain so. It is simple and effective requiring no computer skills. During the period the ARRL Experimental Group tested operating on 600m and later on 630m, QRSS was used for making longer weak-signal contacts. "Reading" the super-slow CW was aided by computer display.

Other digital modes have been investigated and generally work better with weak-signals beyond the 250-300 mile limit of ground-wave. I suspect conversational psk-31 will get used quite a bit, where new digital modes like FT8 will be used to make simple DX contacts with minimal exchange of callsign and signal reports.

But CW is not dead on 630m. Just more choices which may be more effective. By and large many operators in the Experimental Group were prior ship CW operators.

73, Ed - KL7UW, ex WD2XSH/45