Hi Fred,

I see no-one has responded to you so I will chime in with what I know.

A few more details about what you actually see and hear when you press the
power button would be helpful. What you should see and hear is an almost
immediate relay click and most (all?) LEDs turn on. Fractions of of a second
later the display backlight comes on, then fractions of s second later the
display comes alive and you should hear audio. This machine boots up fast,
thank you, engineers at Elecraft.

If on the other hand, you see "CPU LD" (or something similar) in the
display, the software has decided that something is wrong with the
application software and decides to stay in the bootloader (modern firmware
always wakes up up in the bootloader and decides where to go from there).
That would explain why your only recovery is to reload the firmware.

I am starting to guess now and it's not always a good idea. One explanation
is that there is actually something wrong with the application firmware
(corrupted to some degree). But this seems improbable since you can
consistently recover by reloading it.  I assume you are turning the radio
off by using the power button. Another possible explanation is that the CPU
starts executing before the hardware has come up completely and thus
erroneously concludes that the application firmware is corrupted.

I realize that  none of these ramblings is a direct help to you to recover
from your situation but I am hoping it may trigger others to have an AHA
experience.

BTW, the battery is not essential to the K3 operation. It just powers the
RTC which is not very good anyway. I have plenty of better ways to tell the
time of day.

AB2TC - Knut

Fred-2 wrote

--