I second this.  My first foray into electronics in general and radio in
particular came from the old Radio Shack / Science Fair "160 in one" and
"200 in one" project kits.  Prepare for a spaghetti-wire mess of jumpers
between spring terminals, but it was a really great means for me to begin
to understand, and it was a great way for someone of that age (I think I
started toying with them around the age of 9) to experiment.

My favorite kit build, of course, was the AM Radio transmitter, which led
to a lot of experimentation with different antennas to see how far around
our neighborhood I could pick up my signal, trying to find "improvements"
to the circuit, means of using speaker and line-level inputs instead of the
microphone input so I could play music more easily, etc. etc.  It turned
out that, for reasons I didn't understand at the time, a 6-foot-long sheet
of aluminum foil makes a pretty good broadcast band antenna for a toy kit,
much better than just a wire :-)

Eventually this led to a postal mail conversation with my uncle, who is a
Ham, who in turn sent me a copy of "Tune in the World with Ham Radio" to
help answer some questions I had about antennas.  And then, upon doing the
calculations, I was dismayed to learn that a proper vertical antenna for
the frequency I was trying to use would need to be over 150 feet high, well
beyond the allowed length for a Part 15 transmitter.  Someone should have
told me about loading coils... I bet I could have gotten a little more
range out of that aluminum foil!

   Nick

--
*N6OL*
Saying something doesn't make it true.  Belief in something doesn't make it