www.sotawatch.org is the main site.  Like everything else, one size does not fit all.  The programme [it started in the UK] offers a number of awards which attract some but not all folks.  Some are just outdoor folks who would be hiking/camping anyway.  Some don't hike but derive pleasure from working the QRP/antenna challenged stations from home.  They're called chasers and I am one, old injuries plus the accumulation of birthdays that followed tend to restrict me physically.  There are drive-up summits and I've done a few of them.  One very active summiteer runs up the mountains.  Another [WG0AT] uses pack goats.

In all the times I've been on a summit, I've met a number of other hikers.  I'm CW only, but I've activated with others on SSB and none of the "visitors" have been upset.  SOTA almost universally takes place on the summit itself, not the trail.

But SOTA was just an example for Ted.  The primary point was that success with his grandson, if success means the kid getting interested in ham radio, will likely be enhanced if he can couple the radio part up with some interest the boy already has and enjoys.  Double points if his grandson can include his friends in the activities.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County