If the K3 is in CW mode, the computer may key the rig, but there is no RF output (unless you hold the key down.)  No harm, no foul.

George, W3HBM

On 10/16/2017 9:40 AM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
Doug,

The computer will "exercise" the serial port lines when it goes through its startup diagnostics. So if you have the K3 PTT-KEY menu set to anything other than OFF-OFF, it will key the K3 momentarily.

If you are not using the PTT-KEY function, then turn it off.  If you are using it, the only solution is to either power the computer before the K3 or put the K3 into TX TEST before powering the computer.

73,
Don W3FPR