Are you using the WIDTH and SHIFT on SSB?
I would suggest that you will find better success using HI CUT and LO CUT for SSB. The voice audio needs some information in the 300 to 400 Hz region for clarity, so the LO CUT must be set in the 200 to 400 Hz range to keep intelligibility. The HI CUT can be reduced to as much as 1500 Hz and still maintain intelligibility, but at such extremes, the characteristics of the voice will be lost. It is best if the HI CUT is placed at 2800 for good recognition of the voice. Reduce that frequency if there is interference (QRM) on the high frequency side.

73,
Don W3FPR