Thank you for the comments.

The pop goes away with AGC OFF. It also goes away with AGS PLS set OFF.
Perhaps PLS OFF will  be my new default setting, unless in heavy QRN.

Now, I will have easy time partying with K2. BTW, it goes to Z35M, who
should be "Elecraft hero". He made about half a million,QSOs mostly
portable  using K1. To many, he put ZA on the map.See his QRZ web page.

Ignacy, NO9E