Erik,

I don't know the workings of the Icom tuner, but the KAT500 needs 20 watts input to tune. All of that goes to the antenna.

If part of that signal would be shunted to a dummy load, I don't think it would be tuned to the correct antenna impedance. I would have to know more about the configuration involved, but to my mind, it sounds like a dummy load is being connected in parallel with the antenna which would upset the impedance to be matched.

73,
Don W3FPR