Bummer. I have been disconnecting and
unplugging for years. Thought I had it
covered when I saw storms coming in on the
radar. The next day the radio and the P3
was dead when I plugged the power strip in
although the PS was working and everything
else fired up.

Couldn't get TV and I couldn't use my
wireless mouse with the computer. Cut to
the chase... The spike came in through the
cable, killed the modem, killed the USB
hub and the Radio was connected to the hub
by the RS232 to USB cable, the P3 was
connected to the K3s. Was a new radio,
maybe a month old cost me plenty to repair
the damage because damage from lightning
strikes aren't a warranted item (nor
should they be). To Elecraft's credit,
they could have charged me more but they
genuinely care about their customers and
they made it as painless as possible.

But my point is this strike didn't come
from the power line, it came in from the
cable. Lightning is a SOB, if you're going
to disconnect, then make it so the rig and
everything else in any way possible, is
ready to go in a box.

FWIW, I now have everything connected
wirelessly including the desktop. I still
unplug but I no longer worry about spikes
through the cable service.

73,

Gary
KA1J