Eric and all,

Will all due respect, I couldn’t disagree with you more!  First, I don’t think
it is accurate to suggest that CW was used to keep people out of the hobby.
The requirement for this skill was much less obtuse than that.  It was simply
due to the fact that CW was/is probably the most basic method of
communicating—at least it was for a long time.  You could touch two wires
together and send a coherent message!  The device necessary to transmit such a
signal was about as simple as it gets.  CW is still far more efficient and
effective than voice modes unless you use considerably more power with the
latter.  One shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that a dominant reason for us
even being allowed to practice this hobby was that we could be a reliable
alternative in case of emergency.  There was a lot of competition for our place
in the spectrum.

I don’t disagree that “perfect code” isn’t a mandate, but I do think it should
be an objective.  The farther away you get from perfect code, the less coherent
it becomes.  The closer you get to perfect code, the easier it is to interpret!
 Plain and simple!

I hear a lot of crap CW on the bands.  Some of it comes from folks who are just
not very good at it, but are trying to get better.  I’m not so bothered by
that.  However, those who don’t do CW very well, and don’t care, and don’t have
any intention of getting better at it, don’t interest me very much.  Trying to
copy bad CW is a lot of work, and it is rather frustrating.  If I’m helping
someone get better, it is worth it, but if I am just enabling someone to not
get better, I don’t see the point of it.

As to the comparisons to accents that Ron made in his post, I would suggest
that there is a distinction as to degree.  It’s one thing to be “identifiable”
because of some slight variation from perfect code, much like an accent in
language is, but it is a completely different thing to be so far from perfect
code that you become hard to interpret.  That’s not just an accent, but more
like using poor grammar!  CW is, in effect, a language, and should be
recognizable without excessive strain.

My CW is far from perfect, but I try to make it sound as much “by the book” as
I can.  I definitely don’t try to jazz it up like some people do.  Every so
often someone comments that they find it easy to copy.  I’d much rather hear  a
comment like that than have someone say they recognized my because of my accent!

Cheers!

Dave W7AQK

From: Eric J <eric_c...@hotmail.com>

I'm with Ron. I've been in the hobby since 1957. CW has always been used
as some sort of ham radio purity test. It was used to keep people out of
the hobby altogether for decades. Many of those who persevered, learned
the code under duress to get their license, then never touched a key
again. And there's no evidence CW as a gatekeeper prevented lids as many
of the worst offenders were General class or higher who had to have
passed a code test.

As empty as the CW portions are now, except during any contest, I
welcome anyone who knows enough code to make a QSO. Perfect code is not
necessary for reliable communication. Besides, I love hearing all the
various fists, and enjoy recognizing individuals by their fist.

Eric KE6US