On 12/1/2017 4:49 AM, w5...@comcast.net wrote:
But it struck me that it might be nice to add a small antenna analyzer to my
kit.

Why must every perceived problem be resolved by buying something? All Elecraft rigs, including the KX2, have an indicator for SWR that the rig sees. Resonance can be clearly seen by moving up and down the band to find it.

SWR is NOT an indicator of how well an antenna works, and antennas don't necessarily have to be resonant to work well! That depends on how we use the fundamentals of how antennas work. Especially when using improvised wire antennas with little or no feedline, the only thing that matters beyond the fundamental properties of the antenna is whether the rig can match it.

I'd be far more likely to drag along more "stuff" with which to rig improvised antennas in whatever surroundings I find myself, and to study the ARRL Handbook and Antenna Book to understand those fundamentals.

73, Jim K9YC