I don't think I said that.  I imagine the onset of hardware AGC is determined elsewhere.  What I am saying is that the dB/V gain change is non-linear and different from device to device.  I assumed, mistakenly it appears, that the bias voltage to the device was tailored via a lookup table to create a linear dB/V (if you can call dB linear) scale factor. Lyle's description, if I understand it correctly, says that they measure the gain control characteristic, but leave it be and correct the numbers via a table.

A much better choice here (IMHO of course) would have been something like an Analog Devices AD600 (See "A High-Performance AGC/IF Subsystem" by Bill Carver in QST, May 1996.)

Another place where the designers' QRP DNA got in the way of robust design was the choice of the second mixer.  The oft repeated claim that hardware AGC is protecting the DSP may be true, but the second mixer overload characteristics are even worse.

Wes  N7WS