The problem I've had in the past using ALC in that manner is that it was
transparent to me that ALC was limiting output power. So unless I happened to
notice, or someone local pointed out my wicked key clicks, I was unaware. Using
TX inhibit, I get the same result of protecting the amp, but it happens in a
more spectacular way with red fault indicators so I know the operator messed
up. Not sure if ALC will shut down the exciter as well as TX inh if there's a
jumper, feedline, tuner or antenna problem.

73,
Josh W6XU

Sent from my mobile device