Joe,

Thank you for passing along the serial number - that helps a lot with the K2 level.

Any K2 above SN 3000 is up to date with all upgrades (including the IF crystals) - with one exception, the K2 Keying Waveshape Mod which was introduced at SN 4660. That mod kit is no longer available as a package from Elecraft, but I can send you the instructions and parts to order (send private email). That mod is important for eliminating keyclicks that become obvious when an amplifier (such as the KPA100) is added to the K2.

If the KSB2 kit is included, you may want to order the SSBCAPKT to increase the OP1 filter bandwidth to the current 2.4kHz.

Check the firmware level, you may want to upgrade it to the current 2.04r level - order FWK2MCIO from Elecraft.

For the KPA100, order the KPA100UPKT and KPA100SHLDKT.
The KAT100 has had no changes since day 1.

If you do all that, you will end up with a K2 that is current with those being shipped today.

Work carefully, and if you are unsure of what a good solder connection looks like, download the Soldering Tutorial from the Elecraft website. Most builders mistakes are from faulty solder connections and improperly stripped and tinned toroid leads.

Follow the instructions as written - they are correct. If you do not understand a step, ask here and you will likely get an answer.

You may want to download the current manual (and errata sheets) and build from that. For the base K2, the manual you have is similar, but some things have changed.

If you order the KPA100UPKT, definitely build from the latest KPA100 manual (you will have some parts left over).

When winding toroids, be aware that a straight wire through the center of the core is 1 turn - a full wrap around the core is two turns. If you are not up to winding your own toroids, you can order the pre-wound toroids from "The Toroid Guy".

73,
Don W3FPR