You can use whatever terms you want, but physically and electrically you are turning the EFHW into an off-center fed dipole when you add the "counterpoise" wire beyond the feedpoint.  If you don't agree with that you are merely adding to the confusion.

If you add 3.5 feet to a half wave 40 meter dipole it already is no longer a true half wave anyway, and you might as well just feed the half wave antenna 3.5 feet from one end.

Don't believe me?  I modeled a half wave 40m dipole at 70 feet in EZNEC+.  At 67 feet long and fed at the center the feedpoint impedance was 66 - j4 ohms.  When I simply moved the feedpoint out to 3.5 feet from one end (keeping the total length at 67 feet) the feedpoint impedance became 1509 - j1202.  I then added 3.5 feet to the antenna (total of 70.5 feet) and fed it 3.5 feet from one end, which in your world would be the EFHW with a 3.5 foot "counterpoise."  The feedpoint impedance changed to 3317 - j3115 ohms.  Which do you think would be easier to match (or easier to understand)?   The 3D radiation pattern was indistinguishable from each other in all three cases, of course.

It doesn't matter what you call it, but if you take a piece of wire and feed it some distance from the end you now have an off-center fed dipole ... an extreme version possibly, but an off-center fed dipole nonetheless.

In my opinion, the term "counterpoise" is mostly a silly obfuscation.

Dave   AB7E