My amp is close to 7 years old and 20 has always required more drive.  27 to 30 watts on all bands except 20 where I'll run it up to 35 in a pinch. Elecraft suggested I send it in, but I haven't let the smoke out, yet.  Unlike your issue, I see a change when I increase drive. I drive the amp with either a Yaesu FT-950 or a FTDX3K.  ALC is not wired.  There is a modification kit out for the amp, but have no idea what it addresses.

Also, heat causes some stress on the chassis and you'll here pings as it flexes with temp.  The first time I heard that, it scared the heck out of me.  I believe there is a fix for that, too.

Joe
( www.aj8mh.com )