Dave,

I sell a product at http://stores.ebay.com/N0WL-Radio that goes a long way to solving your concern.  It is a Anderson PowerPole adapter for the KX3. (I have designs for the KX2 and FT-817 also.)

This adapter uses a 3D printed shell to securely attach the adapter to the KX3, keeping the length of the low gauge wire to an absolute minimum.  There are other advantages to using an adapter like this - you can see them on the website.

Please note that this current design cannot be used with an after-market heat sink.  I will have another product for that shortly. Elecraft uses available space on the left side of the radio so efficiently that it is very hard creating a design that I would be happy to take into the field.

jon poland, n0wl