I have experienced this too. Cleaning the contact with a small strip of paper
helps for a while. I'm wondering if the contact closure current may be too low
to overcome the slight surface corrosion that develops over time.

When not in use I store the KXPD2 in the mesh pocket of the CS-40 case.

Adjusting the contact spacing narrower allows less travel and seems to make the
problem worse, widening it makes it better but doesn't eliminate the problem.

73,
Brian, K0DTJ