> On Feb 20, 2018, at 12:06 , Walter Underwood <wun...@wunderwood.org> wrote:
>
> Should not need to unlock and relock daily. In fact, that could hurt time
> synchronization.

Indeed, restarting runs the risk of loosing  (over-writing) the calibration
(local clock drift rate) that NTP uses to keep the local clock accurate.

From my experience, I would put the idea of “restart every day” in the same
category as old guidance about primitive operating systems that some folks used
to recommend re-booting every day in order to prevent crashes.

> Mac OS runs NTP, which continually adjusts the time.

 I _think_ every modern OS uses an NTP implementation or at least has one
available.

Some light:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol>
and not so light:
http://www.ntp.org/ <http://www.ntp.org/>
https://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/papers.html
<https://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/papers.html>
reading for those who don’t know about NTP.

I’d be interested to hear about ones that:
a) don’t have an NTP implementation available and/or
b) have one that does not work reliably

One issue I’d keep an eye on is whether your OS (and it’s NTP daemon) will tell
you if it’s having trouble syncing.

With a good NTP implementation, you could go months (or years) with no
significant time of day error and then loose your time sync and slowly drift
off to the point that it matters for your application.

You can also run into this problem if you are off the ‘net and the NTP daemon
can’t get to the NTP source often enough.

-Dale