On 2/22/2018 11:41 AM, Dave Sublette wrote:
I have just had a most unfortunate experience with a UPS and when Gary said
he had an old UPS he was considering, I shuddered.  As far as I know, older
UPS units overcharge the battery continuously.  The best "problem" this
seems to cause is having to replace batteries every three years or so.

Or even sooner than that.  By dumb luck, I bought a couple of CyberPower units that do NOT have this serious design defect, AND which are also RF quiet. The model I bought is the CP1500PFCLCD. It has RFI filtering and meets FCC Part 15 Class B.

I'm guessing that I bought the first of these units 4-5 years ago, and it's been protecting a big "old iron" Dell tower ever since. Run time still seems quite good. I bought the second one a few years ago to keep low power 120V shack gear running through the occasional power drops we experience up here in the mountains. Both units are plugged into a SurgeX box.