I'm reminded of the following:

A number of years ago one of the members of our local DX club put up a 90' tower on top of a ridge in the Tucson Mountains.  All perfectly legal at the time.  The politically connected Gates Pass Area Neighborhood Association went ballistic.  They coerced (did I mention politically connected) the county Board of Supervisors into proposing an ordinance that would limit towers to the same (34') height of a residence. We hams ponied up about $10K as I recall to hire a savvy lawyer, versed in political shenanigans, and packed the meeting room.  Speakers from the Red Cross, CAP, Sheriff's Dept, Search and Rescue, and a number of hams who had helped in disaster communications, etc made our case.

The home owner's association had one representative who held up his cell phone and said to the Supes that he could talk all over the world with it and he didn't need any outdoor antenna.

Although there resulted some new building permit requirements, we can still have 100' towers, (and except for 30-meters, can still run 1500 W on FT8.)

Wes  N7WS

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue2/2004/04/14/122382-county-won-t-limit-ham-radio-antennas/