That is much more serious than a warning. I'd expect it to be immediately followed by a crash with signal 3 (abort), rather than signal 11 (segmentation fault). However, if this isn't the standard assert routine, I would expect any attempt to actually use hash_table to produce a segmentation fault.

The standard assert routine is a macro which tests the condition and, if it fails, logs the fact then call abort, which never returns.