I was out walking around in a local park with the KX2 today, using a couple of
different 48” loaded whips. (/PM = pedestrian mobile, closely related to “HF
Pack,” though I prefer an ultralight version of it, with a “pack” weighing only
2 pounds.) There were quite a few stations on 20 and 15 meters, and I had no
trouble working everyone I called using 5 or 10 watts. Oh, and the sun finally
came out...it’s been wet up here.

Just a reminder to those of you who want to try this: You really do have to use
at least one radial (counterpoise wire) if you plan to transmit. While receive
works pretty well even without the radial, your transmitted signal will be
15-20 dB down, and you may have problems with RFI. This differential effect
between RX and TX performance without a radial becomes more pronounced as you
go down in frequency.

Short whips usually come with instructions that suggest adjusting the length of
the radial wire and/or the length of the telescoping part in order to obtain a
low SWR. While that is certainly possible, it’s far easier to let an ATU do the
fine tuning. The ATU can compensate for variations in counterpoise length,
bends in the wire, ground conditions, how high off the ground the antenna is,
etc. If the SWR goes up for any of these reasons, just tap the ATU tune button.

(This is one reason that all Elecraft radios have internal ATU options, BTW.)

Please report back on your own success with /PM operation.

73,
Wayne
N6KR