On 3/25/2018 1:37 PM, Rick WA6NHC wrote:
Joe, I suspect you're selling the ham community short.  While 'thrifty' (ok, most hams are just plain cheap but it IS a hobby in a world of life issues) there is a LOT of computing power available in the used market.  One can pick up an I-5/6/7 for a pittance and memory is dirt cheap.

Hi Rick,

Since Joe is the guy who answers customer support calls for the line of products he distributes, I suspect that he may have a much more realistic read on the computer power used by hams and how "computer-savvy" we are. And I also suspect it's a fairly wide range in both.

For years, I got away with 8-10 year old top-quality laptops (retired from my small consulting biz) in my ham station, and to run SO2R RTTY, I dedicated one to each radio. A few years ago, I bought a modern biz laptop with a fast i7, and ever since I've run both radios from it. I found that I DID need to add RAM to allow full bandwidth decodes of MSK144.

73, Jim K9YC