Don:

I have the K3-KPA500-KAT500 purchased in August 2014.  Using the Y-Box offered
by Bob Wilson, N6TV which he configured me, I have the K3 attached to Antenna
Genius (AG)  Radio Port A with BCD and it works well.  Similarly, I’m using the
USB interface on the Flex-6700 to provide BCD to the AG on Radio Port B and it
works well.

The key advantage of this approach is that I primarily operate remote.  Using
BCD for both devices means I don’t have to run the AG app on a PC to match the
antenna port of either radio upon startup of each radio, ensuring that the
proper antenna for the desired operating band is selected (Tribander or Offset
Half-wave wire).  Of course, if I want to select a second antenna port for the
desired band (such as a dummy load), I can still use the AG app to make the
change.

One thing to point out is that BCD configuration for 160M is different between
the K3 and AG, so it isn’t possible to select an antenna defined as 160M.  The
DB-15 pin assignments of the AG and K3 ACC lines for BCD logic also differs.
As I recall, there is also a voltage level difference between Elecraft and AG
when using BCD and Bob had to build a circuit within the Y-Box setup to
compensate for this.  Bob posted an e-mail to this list on 15 SEP 17 describing
 how he configured the Y-Box to work with AG and still allow the KPA-500,
KAT-500 to function as intended.

My recommendation for those with a K3 who want to have a BCD connection to an
Antenna Genius should consider Bob’s Y-Box configuration for AG as an effective
interface between the two devices.

FWIW,

Barry Baines, WD4ASW
Keller, TX