Fair question.  From my perspective...

Elecraft manuals are well written and follow the pattern of all manufacturer's User Manuals.  They are like the "dash one" in the set of Air Force Tech Orders for some piece of equipment ... "How to fly the airplane."  They describe how to configure cables and other hardware, how to use the menu system, and how to operate the radio.

Fred's book approaches it sort of at right angles to Elecraft, delving much more deeply into why you would want to choose one configuration over another, the practical effects of various configuration options, etc.  It gives alternate tables and organization for some of the data that gets buried in larger tables in the Elecraft manual.  The Elecraft manual will tell you some setting is remembered by band ... Cady will follow that through with what it means in operational situations.

They are very much complementary, and I find I use them about equally.  I have the spiral bound book, it lays flat on the desk and I can make notes in it.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County