I recently saw this happen on W6NV's P3 after upgrading the firmware from a
very old version to the most recent version in one jump, or perhaps I
accidentally removed power from the back of the P3 while it was on, while
simultaneously bumping one of the front panel buttons.  Reloading the
firmware and doing multiple power cycles did not fix it.

Instead, if you can get to the P3 menu, go to the RESET option and press
the knob.

Or, if the P3 Utility still talks to the P3, go to the command tester and
type:

#RST;

You may then find that the REF LEVEL is set way too high at 0 dB.   Adjust
REF LEVEL back down to about -120 dB and it should be back to normal.

73,
Bob, N6TV