USPS has a similar free service, called Informed Delivery. It also lets you see
photos of mail pieces (non-packages) heading your way. Fedex has something
similar as well. One thing that's great about these services is they tell you
what's coming to your address even if you don't have a tracking number. It's
definitely worth signing up for these free accounts. You also get the ability
to prepay for shipping and print labels. That saves time at the P.O. and
sometimes I can get UPS or Fedex to pick up the package for fee when they're
delivering one.

I agree that any one of these services can and will damage goods that are not
packed well. That's on the shipper. Most of the horror stories I've heard were
due to the shipper not packing the goods adequately (though sometimes that can
be undone on an international shipment by customs inspectors.) That said, I've
seen some instances where the box itself was penetrated or crushed, which is on
the carrier.

I believe custom foam inserts and double-boxing are the best way to protect
electronic equipment, though double boxing almost always involves the dreaded
peanuts.

I live at the end of an 1100' gravel driveway, so the carriers can leave
packages on the front porch with little or no danger that they'll be stolen.
Even so, for something as expensive as a KPA1500 I would opt for a signature
being required. I suspect that if you don't do  that you could have trouble
collecting the full insurance. Also, several times UPS has delivered our
packages to the wrong address. We were able to get them back, but that might
not be the case with something really expensive.

Sometimes a substitute driver will refuse to venture down our driveway for fear
of not being able to turn around (the turn-around isn't visible from the road)
or fear of getting stuck in snow, ice or mud. So they leave the package in the
mailbox (which I believe is illegal) or they put it in a plastic bag tied to
the mailbox post. The mailbox is right on the highway in front of our driveway,
so the package could be stolen easily. A couple of times they just dumped the
box in the snow at head of the driveway. I usually call to let UPS know so they
can tell the drivers not to do that. Again, requiring a signature gets around
that problem but also requires that we hang around all day. I recently had a
signature-required shipment where the estimated delivery times were off by many
hours so I missed it twice and had to pick it up at the UPS depot 20 minutes
away.

My least favorite delivery method is SurePost. UPS picks up the package, sends
it to your region, then hands it off to USPS for the last part of the trip.
That always adds at least one day, if not several days.

All this said, it amazes me how much stuff we're buying online these days and
how cheap the shipping has become.

73, Dick WC1M