Don W3FPR wrote:
>If any of you do not know what we are referring to, go to my
website
>www.w3fpr.com and in the left column, click on the "Noisy K3"
article.
>It will give you guidelines for adjusting the K3/K3S AGC parameters
>better suit your operating preferences.  The default settings are
OK,
>but are not optimum for every operating style and noise
environment.

That last sentence is all too true!

For DXers and contesters, maybe it is time to re-post the following
information from 5-6 years ago.

***************

Many DXers and contesters are still using the factory default AGC
settings, completely unaware that their K3/K3S *could* perform so
much better.

The factory default AGC THReshold for the K3 and K3S is very, very
low. Measurements by KE7X [1] have shown that the default setting of
THR=5 corresponds to an AGC onset at less than S3, while many
competing rigs have a threshold of S7 or even higher. This very low
AGC threshold is what often allows the AGC to be activated by band
noise.

The factory defaults of THR=5 and SLP=12 compress all signals above
the AGC threshold into a very narrow range of audio output levels
[see the measurements by KE7X]. This makes for comfortable
broadcast-style listening - but there is price to be paid: the
default settings greatly reduce the differences in the real-life
strengths of incoming signals.

These are differences that DXers and contesters *want* and *need* to
hear, in order to pick individual signals out of a pileup.

Following complaints from DXers, DXpeditioners and contesters about
this so-called "pileup mush", and following further series of
measurements by KE7X, Elecraft eventually did increase the available
range of AGC THReshold settings (the v4.51 firmware upgrade, May
2012).

After the release of FW v4.51, users began to experiment. The
following is a consensus within the [K3-contesting] Yahoo group
about the most important settings for DXing and contesting [2].

* AGC THR: increase to at least 8 (from default = 5) and preferably
to 12. Then take some time to become accustomed to the wider range
of audio levels.

Repeat: you may need to give the increased AGC THReshold setting an
extended trial. What you became accustomed to with the factory
setting of THR=5 was an artificially restricted range of audio
signal levels, so a higher THR setting will initially sound quite
'aggressive' - but it is also much closer to real life.

* AGC SLP: decrease to 8 or even less (from default = 12). Lower SLP
settings allow stronger signals to sound somewhat louder, and thus
more realistic.

Note: the effects of SLP are partly determined by the THR setting
that you already made (at higher THR levels, SLP has less effect).
So always experiment with THR first, and then adjust SLP as the
second step [1].

* AGC DCY = SOFT (not default=NOR). The User Manual claims that "The
SOFT setting can reduce IMD caused by traditional AGC, and is
especially useful in 'pileup' conditions, in some cases making it
unnecessary to turn AGC off."

The changes recommended above have essentially solved the problem of
"pileup mush" for those who have tried them... but regrettably,
Elecraft has done almost nothing to make DXers and contesters aware
that such changes are even *possible*.

It is now 6 years since the v4.51 firmware release notes boasted
that v4.51 "greatly improves signal clarity in pile-ups and other
high-noise or dense-signal situations, especially with threshold set
to 12 or higher". That information is *still* missing from the User
Manual, along with any advice about how to configure the related AGC
settings.

Also the factory AGC defaults remain exactly as they were, optimized
for 'comfortable listening' but far from optimum for DXing and
contesting. One has to wonder how many DX QSOs have been lost as a
result...

[1] http://www.ke7x.com/home/miscellaneous-k3-information

[2] The [K3-contesting] group served its purpose and then closed
down.