Just FYI in case anyone asks about this someday.

I operate 2 remote K3 stations (one at each home) from a K3/0-mini and
RemoteRig units.  At first I tried using a laptop and connecting
audio/serial cables to the K3/0-mini. Eventually I was able to make it work.
Considering the mic and speaker connectors are the same, I used USB mode
instead of data mode.  I found this messy.

Since I have a PC at each house next to the radio, and already hooked up to
the radio for local operating on digital modes which normally use DataA
mode, this came in handy for remote usage. DataA modes switches from mic to
line in/out.  Setting config to Mic+LineIn and using DataA mode conveniently
lets me use the local PC to run digital modes and view/operate the program
(such as WSJT-X) via a remote desktop connection program but still operate
normally from the K3/0-mini for CW/Voice modes. This also means I can leave
it on to monitor and report signals while away, at least for the station I
last connected to provided I leave the K3/0-mini on, else the remote K3
would be turned off.  I can operate the K3/0-mini volume control and see the
frequency and TX status as normal, but the volume is now independent of the
audio routed to the digital program, so I do not have to listen to the
audio, nor lose audio due to a sound card being plugged in between the
K3/0-mini and a laptop.

The one odd thing I am looking into is when the desktop connection is lost
or minimized for some time, the one home station using a laptop loses its
display and I have to disconnect and reconnect, and the WSJT program stops
hearing audio in.  Simply restarting the WSJT-X (1900 rc3) or going into
WSJT-X setting/Audio and changing audio in setting and saving restores the
audio in the program.  I have yet to see if this is an issue with my other
station which is on a PC.  Both machines are on 24/7 running home automation
and alarm system integration.  I will be digging into this further as the
offending lap[top is in my basement with the transverters and amplifiers and
cabling, rarely ever seen, the K3/0-mini is upstairs.

I am using the Wi-Fi option at times on my control side RemoteRig, and
recently successfully operated from my RV using campground Wi-Fi in Moab
Utah.  For that I had to connect the RemoteRig via Internet Connection
Sharing on my laptop which provided the connection to the campground
service.  This is because the campground service requires a web log in,
something the RemoteRig does not handle.  I plan to install a Mo-Fi router
in the RV to handle that long term.

- Mike, K7MDL

--
Sent from: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/