Date: Sun, 20 May 2018 09:22:36 -0400
From: Dan Atchison <n...@aol.com>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] My weigh-in, K4

I have to agree with the posts noting with disappointment that Elecraft
has not, nor seems to show little interest, in producing a new
competitive desktop radio.? That said, I'm sure they are working on one,
but when produced, the market may be saturated with other manufacturers
radios who have felt the need to get to market quickly.

It doesn't matter that the K3(S) is a truly fine and competitive radio.?
It isn't a matter that the performance ratings of the newer radios are
significantly better (they are not).? It comes down to we who love
technology and wish to be on the cutting edge; to have a unit with the
latest bells and whistles.? The K3(S) for the most part, is technology
over a dozen years old.? To wit, I have grown tired of looking at the
same radio for over 10 years, from my early S/N K3 to a second and newer
radio, a K3S.? Ho, hum.

At the price of newer, competitive radios, trading newer for older or
one radio for another becomes less attractive.? I have already seen in
abundance those who have already discarded the K3(S) in favor of Icom's
or Flex's newer offerings, not only contesters but DXers as well. I have
not yet, but may soon.? Should Elecraft come out with a K4 or whatever,
regardless of it's feature set, they've already lost advantage and way
behind the market.? Of course, we who drink the Elecraft cool-aid will
no doubt purchase.

To those that say "moving on" is unnecessary, I ask how old their
vehicles are?? I buy a new vehicle, not often, but every 5 to 7 years
not because the older car doesn't get me from point A to point B in fine
fashion, but because I just want something more recent with newer or
upgraded options.? How about your cellphone? How many are using one 10
years old?? It's personal preference just like it is for radios.

73,
Dan
--
Sent from my iPhone X