-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ron
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 9:02 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] Adventurous QRPers needed

This is for all of you who love to go out and get away portable, QRP.

I am a person who has become involved in ultra marathon running. For those
of you who aren't familiar. Ultra marathons are anything over 26.2 miles
(marathon distance). They are usually 100 mile races, with 50 mile distance
included, and also 50 kilometers (31 miles).

It has come to my attention that Ultra Marathons have difficulty getting
support from ham radio. Most of this reason is laziness. Most hams just want
to go out and play with their radios for a few hours. They aren't willing to
go out and provide support all night long. They aren't willing to go to
difficult places. The kind of places you can only hike into. Or perhaps ride
a horse into. Also these Ultra's last for 31 hours or more. Bear in mind! I
really don't think the Ultra people are looking for the kind of support that
just makes things more convenient. They are looking for communications when
it is most needed. Perhaps starting half way through the race. To provide
communications when things get dangerous for the runners. Things can get
very ugly for the runners. If one of them drops, they might not get up. This
is what the Ultra community worries about in "support".

Also bear in mind. There are many places where it isn't that difficult to
get to. But it certainly is out in the boonies. Where cell phones don't
work. This is something that HF used locally would be the best solution.

I know that Ultra's have learned to get along without ham support. It can
get difficult without communication. People do get hurt. They have a term in
Ultra running called DNF. Many people DNF. DNF means; Did Not Finish. They
also have another understanding of that term. It means; Did Nothing Fatal.

This is something that has just come to my attention in trying to drum up
hams to support an Ultra. Also told the same difficulty has happened
elsewhere and they gave up on the hams. So I really don't know...there may
be Ultra's out there that have good support from some hams?

I'm wondering if there would be an interest in providing support for any of
these races? This is something where small QRP rigs would be best suited.
This would be doing something that is serious support. Not just playing with
your radio to help keep things organized.

I confess, I haven't addressed this to the Adventure Radio Society itself...
yet. Just wondering. I know there are many on here who have the ability, and
sense of adventure to get out there.

Ron Pyle
kc0qxu
Hot Springs, SD
When being chased by a bear. You don't have to outrun the bear. You just
have to outrun the other guy.
Beware of kisses from Pit Bulls...They might have the flu...