Yeah the fans are pretty noisy especially when CQing without answers which
keeps the amp duty cycle high.  At least when you get answers the amp has a
chanceto cool just a bit and keep it below 70C which is where the hyper drive
fans come into play, hi.  I'm still happy with the amp for several reasons but
I still prefer tube amps.I thought I would have two Acom 2000a's but when I saw
the new 1500 I figured I would take the solid state plunge for instant on
capability but I still prefer my 2000.Tube amps have the same speed fans no
matter how hot and how many CQ's you call.  The 1500 sits on top of the Acom
quite nicely though, that couldn't happen withtwo Acoms, hi.
A friend of mine keeps his amps in the basement with his shack upstairs.  He is
awaiting his 1500 to return from Elecraft for a repair but I already emailed
him and toldhim he definitely would like to remote the 1500 to the basement,
hi.  I could use the Acom more for running somewhat but I was giving the 1500 a
pretty rigorous testover the weekend.  I don't know how well noise cancelling
headphones will do with the 1500 fans when they start singing over 70C.  I keep
the manual speed to at least2 while contesting and sometimes 3.  It helps to
get the temp to stay lower for longer periods while the duty cycle subsides.
First big contest test of the 1500.

BillK3WJV

    On Monday, May 28, 2018, 10:24:43 AM EDT, Richard Zalewski