Interesting conversation.  As one those old farts, age 76 and a ham for 60 of them, I do still have all of my teeth, most of my hair and a 59-year-old fiancee. I guess I fail to understand the heartburn about calling frequencies.

First, they aren't FCC assigned frequencies.  It is completely legal to operate on them on a first-come-first-served basis.  No one owns a frequency.  Now while it might be reasonably argued that it is bad form to occupy one continuously, it certainly isn't the end of the world. Regularly scheduled "nets" should certainly use a different frequency but if someone calls CQ and is answered by a distant station I fail to see a need to immediately QSY and risk losing the QSO, especially if it is MS.

Wes  N7WS