The Russian group, eb104, produces LDMOS water cooled amps. You can see them on their YouTube channel. The amps are much quieter than the KPA1500 but not as compact.

73,
-John NI0K

Clay Autery <mailto:k...@montac.com>
Sunday, June 03, 2018 1:08 PM
"Water cooling" has come a LONG way from the days back in the 90s when we were machining out own water blocks from aluminum and copper, and trying to construct flow loops that didn't leak, find suitable radiators, etc.

But I don't think there are any current CPU/GPU coolers on the market that would touch the heat rejection requirements of the combined LDMOS modules, assuming you could find a model that could be adapted, and somehow managed to find a way to get it attached.... You'd ALMOST HAVE to cool the copper heat spreader, since the LDMOS are I suspect soldered to it. Don't know if the heat spreader is soldered or mechanically attached to the heat sink.. It is possible that you could gang multiple large OTS CPU coolers onto the heat spreader in place of the massive heatsink.

Then you'd need to figure out what you were going to do with the 1- "n" number of sets of hoses and radiators.... and 1-3 times n number of radiators in very large fans.

And THEN, remember that there are other thermal loads inside the chassis... You'll still need to provided some airflow to those loads, so you'll still need case fans.

Certainly and interesting and intriguing project for someone deep of pockets and most grande of huevos.... but not a trivial task certainly.
I personally would not risk my $6k amp to do it... If I had one.  :(

Message delivered to jasimm...@pinewooddata.com
Drew AF2Z <mailto:pu...@af2z.net>
Sunday, June 03, 2018 8:11 AM
There are liquid cooling systems available for CPUs and graphics cards, used by gamers and overclockers. Have no idea how this would compare to cooling a 1500 watt RF power amplifier but probably more analogous than an airplane engine.

73,
Drew
AF2Z

Message delivered to jasimm...@pinewooddata.com
Dauer, Edward <mailto:eda...@law.du.edu>
Saturday, June 02, 2018 4:09 PM
I have been following this thread with interest because I have a KPA1500 on order, and I have very limited flexibility as to where the RF deck can go compared to where I will have to sit.

Don's video was very well done and a great help in understanding the realities.

I know zero about thermodynamics, and so wanted only to say thanks to everyone who is contributing ideas, and to make but two comments.

First, as to water cooling, I suspect it would be a huge weight penalty to get the cooling fluid everywhere it needs to be. So far as I know there is only one reciprocating engine made for aircraft that has a water jacket. (There might be others nowadays - I haven't owned an airplane for some years.) The reasons others don't are reliability, safety, complexity, and - mostly - weight. Second, isn't this largely a contest-operating issue? I believe we are still governed by the rule that we may use only that amount of power necessary for the communication. I contest too, so I'll face the problem on those occasions, but not for casual ragchews. I plan to make some graphs of when in terms of time, power, mode and band the fans on mine kick up a notch, and use it as a general operating guideline if I need to.

Ted, KN1CBR